Thrifty Car Rental - Second Attempt - FAIL!
Last November, I made a reservation online for a full-size car. Arrived at Thrifty at 220 Yonge St, Toronto, to be told that the only vehicle they have is a minivan. They claim that they can't guarantee that a certain class of car will be available. Well, maybe not, but they lost my business because if it. At the time, I was pissed and decided that I would not make another reservation with Thrifty again, especially as it seems they have no idea what type of car will be available at a given location... and yes Thrifty, there is a difference between a car and a minivan.
Fast forward to April 2013. Being a forgiving soul and believer in second chances, I decided to give Thrifty another shot. Having learned my lesson, I made sure to call ahead to check on vehicle availability. The rep I spoke with told me that cars were available, so having already made the reservation, I went down to the rental location.When I arrived, there were about 4 people head of me, and with only 1 rep working, it took about 25 mins to be served. Nonetheless, when I got to the counter, I was greeted by the rep and gave him my driver's license and credit card. His first question to me was, "Is this your first time renting from Thrifty?" I said "Yes, first time". He then proceeded to input all my information into the computer (which seemed to take forever), and then we discussed coverages, vehicle type, etc. Finally, after all this, he says to me: "As this is your first time renting with Thrifty, I am going to require a second piece of Photo ID."
WHAT?! First of all, NOWHERE was I ever informed that I would need to bring a second piece of photo ID. Not on the website, not on my rental confirmation they emailed me, not even in the fine print terms and conditions which I painstakingly read through was there ANY MENTION of needing 2 pieces of photo ID. Even this same douche bag I spoke with on the phone could have advise me of that, but nope.Secondly, I have been renting cars from other agencies for YEARS and have NEVER had to produce anything more than my driver's license and credit card. So Thrifty is making 2 assumptions here - #1, Their first-time customers are just going to somehow know that they need 2 pieces of ID, and #2, Everyone has a second ID (like a passport) that they walk around with all the time.
When I told the guy that I've been renting for years with just my DL & CC, he then had the gall to tell me that if I was opening up a bank account that I would need 2 pieces of ID. "Well I'm not here to open up a bank account, I am?" The imbecile then said, "Look man, we are renting $30K vehicles here…" Oh really? Because that piece of *** Mazda 2 you’ve got lined up for me is worth about 9 grand at best.
He said he could call his manager but I will be told the same thing. So I left the place, deciding instead to complain to Corporate instead of to the local manager, as most of the supervisors and managers are all low-level immigrant plebs with no ability to change anything, such as this BS policy.
SO CONSIDER YOURSELF WARNED – NEVER RENT FROM THRIFTY AT 220 YONGE ST, TORONTO (EATON CENTRE LOCATION).
Following this debacle, I went straight to HERTZ and rented a car with those same two pieces of ID, with no problems whatsoever. I highly recommend HERTZ.
Hey Thrifty, GET WITH THE PROGRAM!
More Review Details
- Product or service
- Compact Car Rental
- Review category
You May Also Like
- "1. Rented a Thrifty car online 1 week in advance. 2. Next day received email with 25% discount offer so made new reservation online. Attempted to cancel 1st reservation but system..."
- "This place was recommended by a friend who only used their services once. I was very excited to rent an RV and selected a coach size. I paid for the..."
- "I've rented hundreds of cars in my life,and I never had an experience like my one with Thrifty. I had a AAA promo and was promised a good deal on a..."
- "Hidious Service! Paid for my order to be priorty shipped & arrive before Christmas! Just received the item a week ago. Good Luck getting a live person on the phone...."
- "A caution to anyone shipping UPS. When you take your packages to a UPS store be sure to stand there and read EVERY LINE of the paper they give you...."
- "I had a exam in March 2016 took 1 hour took script to be filled at another place turns out wrong script had headaches so went to dr pt and..."
- " An unlicensed so called "property management" company soliciting realtor's and private investors to rent and manage their investment portfolio. A 2 man operation with no real knowledge of property management..."
- "This company is a SCAM. Eli Levinson is a thief and conniving man. He has lied about everything, falsified documents, made fictitious claims. - Rented our properties well below market..."
- "I brought my car in for a insurance repair after getting hit by hail storm. The place looked top knotch so I told myself they must have a..."